Yoga and Pilates are both mind-body practices that will improve your strength, balance and flexibility so what can yogis gain from practicing Pilates too?
- STRENGTH - Pilates is famous for increasing core strength and that’s good news for your arm balances and inversions.
- CONTROL - Joseph Pilates called his method Contrology which refers to the way Pilates encourages the use of the mind to control the muscles and control over movements rather than speed, intensity or repetition.
- ALIGNMENT - Pilates stresses good posture and alignment of the head, neck and spine.
- CONCENTRATION - Practicing Pilates consistently will result in greater focus and concentration through a breath and deeper mind-body connection.
- PRECISION - So you want to be able to jump through and back? Practicing Pilates makes perfect.
- FLOW - Similarly to vinyasa yoga, Pilates is performed in smooth, graceful and fluid movements.
The precision and strength of Pilates complements the fluid movement of yoga, allowing yogis to ultimately improve their strength, posture and control; avoid injury; and advance in their practice.
New to Pilates? Find out how to survive your first (or next) class with this free guide!