Here are five things guys need to know about Pilates right now.
1. Pilates was developed by a man for men. It was designed by Joseph Pilates, a former boxer and gymnast to rehabilitate wounded internees during World War I. When Joseph Pilates first opened his New York studio, many of his clients were boxers, wrestlers and other athletes of varying disciplines. Despite its subtle, careful movements, Pilates isn’t just for women. Many men including professional athletes benefit from practicing Pilates.
2. It’s a challenging workout that emphasizes the importance of core stability, strength, balance and flexibility to prevent injury and improve athletic performance. Many men will be surprised how sore they are after a Pilates session.
3. Pilates is great for developing smaller, supporting muscles that are often neglected in daily life and weightlifting. Developing these areas increases strength, flexibility and range of motion. Many men who have tight shoulders, backs, hips and hamstrings will find welcome relief in these areas.
4. You’ll never skip leg day. Pilates is a full-body workout that will work everything from the top of your head to your tips of your toes.
5. With consistent practice, the benefits of Pilates include increased strength and flexibility, improved posture and balance, an overall toned body, and reduced stress.
Flat Belly Pilates offers private classes and tailors each session to the client’s individual needs. During your session, your instructor will guide you through a series of 20-25 poses with verbal cues and physical adjustments specifically for your needs whether you are a beginner who wants an introduction to the practice, someone hoping to learn new poses at your own pace, or and advanced student seeking to develop their skills.
Since many men have tight shoulder, backs, hips and legs, we take time to properly warm up the body. The first part of the session is spent warming up in preparation for the deep stretching, strengthening and balancing poses where clients are encouraged to work up a sweat and find their edge. As they advance in their practice, clients are challenged with various Pilates equipment including weighted balls, fitness rings and resistance bands so that they continue to make progress towards their fitness goals.
New to Pilates? Find out how to survive your first (or next) Pilates class with this free guide!
Flat Belly Pilates offers 50-minute private Pilates and yoga sessions for individuals, duets and groups. Sessions start at $70. Session packages of five and ten classes are also available.